|Please note that the pasta used in this is Rigatoni but is best with Penne|
This pasta and meatball dish is easy to make and is great if you are feeding a large crowd. The following recipe fed my husband twin sons, all three have big appetites, and my myself. Leftovers can always be easily re-heated for lunch or dinner the following day.
- 1 box or bag of frozen meatballs of your choice. I used a pork and beef kind, or you can always make your own.
- Cooking, Canola, or olive oil
- 2 medium cooking onions peeled and chopped
- 3 ribs of celery chopped
- 2-3 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 yellow, red, orange, or green bell peppers (I used one red and one yellow)
- 1 tsp. of dried thyme
- 1 tsp. of dried oregano
- 1 tsp. of dried basil
- 1 Tbs. of dried hot red peppers
- 5 shakes of Tabasco sauce
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 3/4 of a large bag of penne pasta
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese to serve on the side
Usually I make my own meatballs but we happened onto a huge sale at Christmastime and I bought a few bags to have on hand. This came in handy and saved me quite a bit of time while preparing dinner.
Mushrooms can be added to this if you happen to have them on hand.
- Follow the directions on the meatballs and cook while preparing all the ingredients for your pasta meal.
- Prepare all your veggies.
- In the bottom of a large pot (I used a 6 quart pot) or a Dutch oven add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pot, and heat on medium.
- Once meatballs are cooked remove from oven, drain and set aside.
- Add the onions and celery to the pot on the stove and cook for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir.
- Add and stir in the diced tomatoes, and add the bell peppers.
- Next add all your spices and Tabasco or hot sauce of your choice.
- Stir in the tomato sauce along with the cooked meatballs.
- Bring everything to a boil, then turn the heat down to simmer, cover and let everything mingle for at least 45 minutes.
- Before you're ready to eat cook your pasta according the package directions.
- Drain and place the pasta back into the pot. Toss with a bit of olive oil (This keeps the pasta from clumping together)
- Now you can either mix the sauce with the pasta or serve the meatball sauce over the pasta.
- Serve and ENJOY!
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, or serve the cheese on the side.
Thanks for stopping by today and please say hi to let me know that you were here. Have a great day!