Thursday, March 16, 2017

Lithuanian Raisin Coffee Cake


Traditional Lithuanian Baking

My husbands father is from Lithuania, and I've always been interested in cooking the delicious desserts, potato dishes, soups, and appetizers that his grandmother makes. This particular recipe for Lithuanian Raisin Coffee Cake comes from her, and is one that I'll pass down to my sons and their wives.
  • Prep time: 30 min
  • Cook time: 30 min
  • Ready in: 1 hour
  • Yields: 10 people


Ingredients

  • 3 cups of all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. of baking powder
  • 1 tsp. of baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. of salt
  • 1 cup of butter
  • 1 1/4 cups of white granulated sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp. of cooled brewed coffee
  • 1 Tsp. of vanilla
  • 2 cups of sour cream (I use 14%)
  • "Raisin Mixture"
  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup of granulated white sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. of cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbsp. of cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp of raisins

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven with rack in center of oven to 350° F.
  2. Grease a bundt pan.
  3. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt mixing really well. Set aside.
  4. In a medium size mixing bowl beat together the butter and sugar.
  5. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
  6. Mix in the coffee and vanilla.
  7. Add this mixture to the flour mixture alternating with the sour cream.
  8. In a small mixing bowl mix together all the ingredients listed for raisin mixture.
  9. To the bottom of the bundt pan add about two cups of the batter. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the raisin mixture on top of the batter.
  10. Keep doing this until almost all the batter is gone.
  11. For the top layer you want to end up with batter.
  12. Place in the oven for 50 minutes or until cake can be inserted with a toothpick coming out clean.
  13. Cool on a rack for 30 minutes.
  14. Place a plate on top of the cake and flip over allowing the cake to come out of the bundt pan and onto the plate.
  15. Slice and ENJOY!

Is this a cake that you think you may like?



3 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious! I love coffee cake and this one reminds me of my grandmother's marble pound cake. I found an antique tube pan at a thrift store and I love using it. I also have a couple of Bundt pans so this looks doable. Hope to try this recipe soon. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great. I love coffee cakes like this that aren't incredibly sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. Please leave a comment to let me know you were here.